A daughter is the most wonderful gift a girl can receive. If she’s anything like me, she’ll be a stubborn, hot mess, and as smart as a whip.
She, just like every other girl, will be faced with struggles that I hope I can prepare her for.
Here are 6 things I hope I can teach her before they happen:
1. Women can do anything men can do. Women are just as strong, if not stronger than men in every way possible. Please don’t let anyone tell you any different.
If you think for a second that you can’t climb that tree or do some job, because it’s “unlady like,” think again. I don’t care what you do in life, as long as your happy.
2. Sometimes the girls who you thought would always be there won’t be, and that’s okay. This lesson took years for me to learn.
Not everyone who said they’d have my back actually had my back when push came to shove. And I hope that it never happens to my daughter.
I hope she never has to cry because the girl she thought was her best friend stabbed her in the back.
3. A boy may break your heart, but he’s not worth your life. No boy deserves that much power over you.
I don’t just mean suicide attempts, I mean he’s not worth you uprooting everything you believe in, everything you are just because you think you love him.
Keep your values and value your life. If that boy loved you, he would have never hurt you. And you deserve a king, not a jester.
4. Don’t ever change because some body wants you to. You are perfect the way you are. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT.
I tried being somebody else for everyone else and completely lost who I was. You can’t please everyone, so my beautiful daughter, do whatever makes you happy.
5. Not everybody is going to be nice, and that’s okay. You just let karma take care of them. Karma is a bitch and rude people suck. Keep the saying with you, “Lions don’t lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.”
This has gotten me through so many tough times. People are going to try to tear you down, but you are my daughter which makes you stronger than the words of some hateful, ill-mannered brat. Always keep your head up.
6. Your mistakes are just that, mistakes. They may help mold you into who you’ll become, but they are not who you are.
Don’t dwell on anything. Learn from everything. I will be with you every step, through any journey. Just because you fall down, doesn’t mean you can’t get back up.